Bilkent University School of English Language (BUSEL) prepares students for the English medium academic studies in the faculties and schools of Bilkent University and professional lives beyond.
BUSEL consists of two programs:
- The English Language Preparatory Program brings students’ English level up to the level required for study in their faculties and schools.
- The Faculty Academic English Program (FAE) provides credit-bearing English courses for academic or professional purposes once students are in their faculties and schools.
BUSEL is possibly one of the largest English language schools in the world teaching English to around 6,000 students each semester. The school currently has more than 200 instructors, twenty-five percent of whom are native speakers of English, and 15 administrative and support staff.
The school is committed to maintaining quality standards in teaching the English language and academic skills. BUSEL provides ample opportunities to its academic staff for personal and professional development. It is a teaching qualification center certified to offer the Cambridge English qualifications:
- ICELT (In-service Certificate in English Language Teaching);
- CELTA (Certificate in English Language Teaching to Adults); and
- DELTA (Diploma in English Language Teaching to Adults) to its language instructors.
The school also runs its in-service professional development certificate program:
- CTEAP (BUSEL Certificate in Teaching English for Academic Purposes)
for instructors who wish to develop their knowledge and skills in teaching English for Academic Purposes in a university setting.
In addition, BUSEL has organized 14 international conferences, in the areas such as English Language Teaching, Teaching English for Academic Purposes, Language Assessment, School Management, Teacher Training and Development for the last 20 years. Some of these conferences were jointly held with IATEFL (International Association of Teachers of English) and its various SIGs (Special Interest Groups).
BUSEL is also committed to ensure quality testing of the English language and academic skills of its students. The school has developed its own Proficiency in Academic English (PAE), equivalent to 87 on the TOEFL-IBT or 6.5 on the IELTS, which all students must pass prior to starting in their departments. Through a linking project, PAE is being linked to B2 (Vantage, Independent User) level in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
BUSEL is a learning institution that constantly evaluates and renews itself to better accommodate the changing needs of its students.